Draft Minutes from the MLPOS AGM October 2, 2021 to be approved at the 2022 MLPOS AGM.
MINUTES OF THE MAGIC LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS’ SOCIETY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
HELD ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2021 AT 1:00 PM ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION HALL
& VIA ZOOM
Dave Reed Lori Davenport Robb Zuk Joanna Rogers Mike Wiley
Art Curtis Ian Syme Wally Foster Bob Coulson
Marina Operations Manager (via zoom) Office Manager and Meeting Host Director of Recreation / Tennis
Marina Projects Manager
Marina Maintenance Manager Marina General Manager
25 (17 in person, 8 via zoom)
1. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Jeremy Harwood called the meeting to order at 1:25 pm.
2. WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS
Chair Jeremy Harwood welcomed those present, introduced and thanked the Board members and Office Manager Joanna Rogers
After 3 years as President, Jeremy has decided to step down.
3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Moved by Dave Reed Seconded by Wally Foster
That the agenda be approved.
4. ADOPTION OF MINUTES FROM 2020 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)
Moved by Art Curtis Seconded by Lori Davenport
That the Minutes of the October 17, 2020 Magic Lake Property Owners’ Society Annual General Meeting be approved.
6. BUSINESS ARISING FROM 2020 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
7. DIRECTORS’ REPORTS
a. Marina General Manager
Topics of discussion:
• Wally Foster introduced the Marina Team and Joanna Rogers and thanked them for all their hard work
• This year has been good for casual moorage fees, they have doubled since last year. One of the reasons for the increase was due to the new sponsorship program
• Wally thanked Robb Zuk for the development of the computer system which has improved efficiency
• A “thank you” to Irene Dray for the donation of her boat. She has requested that the proceeds be donated to the medical clinic
• Working on developing detailed job descriptions for future volunteers
• The breakwater has required continuous maintenance. We are able to purchase rock from the Magic Lake sewer system project at a discount
• Other improvements at the marina include:
A new banister on the grid
Two new fire extinguishers
Two new carts
The installation of racks for children’s life jackets
Railings installed at the ambulance area and soon to install extra lighting in that area
• A “thank you” to Peter Hodgson for the construction of the marina signs. Peter has requested a donation be made to the medical clinic in lieu of payment
• The picnic tables located at the breakwater require replacement, looking for volunteers to build new ones. MLPOS will cover the cost of material
• MLPOS is looking to purchase a used boat trailer for our 17-foot work boat. The current boat trailer is well used but if anyone is interested in it please contact Wally
b. Director – Recreation / Tennis Report
• Mike Wiley presented the attached report which included Covid-19 safety protocols that have been implemented for anyone wanting to play tennis or pickle ball tennis, this includes proof of vaccination
• The new Pickle Ball courts have been well received by the community
Dave Reed relayed his privilege working with Mike and the Marina Team. Dave also sits on the Board for the Magic Lake Water and Sewer Committee and informed us that a significant grant was awarded for this project
Moved Jean Deschenes
Seconded by Lori Davenport
That the Directors’ Annual Reports be approved.
Lori Davenport presented the proposed upgrade to the Magic Lake Playground adjacent to the tennis courts. Project will be funded by grant opportunities and fund raising. A Steering Committee will be established to help planning and fund raising. The committee will consist of experienced grant writers to assist with grant applications, residents from the community to help with any fundraising and to encourage community involvement, such as testimonials. The committee will include experienced grant writers to assist with grant applications, and residents.
The attached Cash Flow Statement and Balance Sheet at August 31, 2021, and the proposed Budget for 2021/2022 were provided to the members.
Jean Deschenes presented the attached Treasurer's report.
Motion: That the MLPOS approve the addition of $26,986 from the August 31, 2021 cash surplus, $10,000 to Breakwater repairs fund and $16,986 to General Fund
Moved Jean Deschenes Seconded Bob Coulson
10. SPECIAL BUSINESS
Approval of Budget for 2021-2022
Moved by Jean Deschenes Seconded by Art Curtis
11. NEW BUSINESS
• Bob Coulson presented the findings from the Demographics survey conducted by the MLPOS.
• Bob Coulson presented the benefits and obstacle of incorporating Magic Lake Estates as an Island Municipality. The presentation covered taxation, representation and services. At the end of the presentation the following motion was presented.
Motion: That the membership of the Magic Lake Property Owners’ Society (MLPOS), agrees with the MLPOS Board of Directors that the Society, along with other interested parties, will formally request, through the Capital Regional District, as well as other avenues if necessary, that the Minister of Municipal Affairs authorize “Restructure Planning Grants” as outlined in the government’s publications and on its website to fund a formal governance study for our community. And that, the MLPOS will facilitate the formation of a committee to guide the undertaking of the study, along with communications with various agencies.
Moved by Bob Coulson Seconded by Jean Deschenes
The following people for the following positions were acclaimed: President – Bob Coulson
Vice-President – Jeremy Harwood Marina General Manager – Wally Foster Marina Operations Manager – Robb Zuk
Director of Recreation / Tennis – Mike Wiley
The 2021 Annual General Meeting of the Magic Lake Property Owners’ Society was adjourned at 3:00 pm.