MLPOS Meeting Minutes - Jan 9, 2017

MINUTES OF THE MAGIC LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS` SOCIETY

DIRECTORS MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY, JANUARY 9, 2016

AT 4:00 PM

AT PENDER ISLAND SCHOOL

5714 CANAL ROAD,

PENDER ISLAND, BC

PRESENT: Jeremy Harwood, Vice-President

Wally Foster, General Manager – Marina

Dave Reed, Member-at-Large

Kathy Gilbert, Secretary

Mike Wiley, Director of Recreation / Tennis

Ian Syme, Marina Operations Manager

Glenn Henderson, Marina Projects Manager

Art Curtis, Marina Maintenance Manager

Joanna Rogers, Office Manager

REGRETS: Peter Morton, President

Jean Deschenes, Treasurer

1. CALL TO ORDER

A / Chair Jeremy Harwood called the meeting to order at 4:04 pm.

2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Moved by Wally Foster

Seconded by Ian Syme

That the agenda be approved.

CARRIED

3. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was noted on the December 19, 2016 minutes that the position titles held by Ian Syme and Art Curtis were reversed. The corrected titles are: Ian Syme, Operations Manager; Art Curtis, Maintenance Manager.

Moved by Art Curtis

Seconded by Ian Syme

That the Minutes of the December 19 2016 Magic Lake Property Owners’ Society Directors Meeting be approved, as amended.

CARRIED

4. DELEGATION

None

5. BUSINESS ARISING FROM MINUTES

a) Insurance UpdateJody Bradley, Seafirst Insurance, will be available to attend the February 13 2017 Board meeting to review our existing policies and associated costs with Board members as a step toward ensuring that our policies are appropriate and competitive.

b) Website updates

Joanna Rogers has been working with the website designer, Lisa Moorby toward enabling payment of membership and fees via PayPal.Because of the individual nature of charging by the foot for boat moorage, it was decided that payment would be via cheque for moorage.However, payment for annual membership in MLPOS and tennis court fees will be available via PayPal.There is no direct charge to the payer for using PayPal, but there is a nominal cost to MLPOS.Membership fees in MLPOS may need to be raised from $20 plus GST to $21 plus GST. Ian and Joanna will discuss the possibility of charging a flat rate for casual moorage.Joanna also noted that MLPOS can accept email transfers.

c) 2017 Taxation Assessment of Marina site

Wally Foster noted that the marina assessment for 2017 is lower than that of 2016. Although Wally has been in communication with BC Assessment staff, there remain some unanswered questions. It was generally agreed that if the questions could not be satisfactorily addressed before the January 31 2017 deadline for appeal of the assessment, an appeal should be filed.

Joanna will attend the Marina Directors’ meeting on January 10, where the group will formulate a list of questions to pose to BC Assessment.

d) Societies Act update

Art Curtis provided some material he had received regarding the new Act and implications for societies that he had received through another society. Joanna and Kathy will work on the review of the MLPOS Constitution and Bylaws

6. TREASUER'S REPORT

As Jean Deschenes was unavailable for the meeting, there was no Treasurer’s report.

7. DIRECTOR REPORTS

a) Marina

There was no formal report.

Board members discussed the possibility of having the RCMP boat moved from Otter Bay to Thieves Bay. Wally and Dave Reed will discuss this with the Outer Gulf Islands RCMP Corporal.

Dave has been approached by several people who might be interested in storing their kayaks at the Thieves Bay by converting an existing slip to a storage rack. Kathy will include this suggestion in the February Pender Post article to gauge broader interest.

b) Recreation / Tennis

Mike Wiley advised that despite the cold weather, the tennis courts were well-used recently. He will attend to some small cracks needing attention.

c) Director-at-Large

Dave reported that the North Pender Official Community Plan and related bylaws have now been amended by the Islands Trust to allow for short term vacation rentals, with conditions. Trustees are now turning their attention to consideration of secondary suites.

Dave also noted that the Chart Drive sewer system upgrade is now complete and operational. The Magic Lake Water and Sewer Committee is now investigating possible replacement of a water system pipe along Buck Lake that backs up from time to time and an assessment of the condition of various other pieces of water piping.

8. CORRESPONDENCE

A thank you card from Santa’s Sac was received for MLPOS’ contribution to that fund.

9. NEW BUSINESS

10. OTHER

In response to an email enquiry from Peter Morton, Glenn Henderson reported that the fish cleaning station will be improved when the storage shed is repaired.

Jeremy advised that CRD staff may be able to get approval to remove the Magic Lake floating dock.

11. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 5:18 pm.

Next meeting

February 13 2017

4:00 pm

Driftwood Centre Community Room

Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square