MLPOS Directors Meeting October 7, 2019.

MINUTES OF THE MAGIC LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS` SOCIETY

DIRECTORS MEETING

HELD ON OCTOBER 7 2019 AT 4:00 PM

AT PENDER ISLANDS SCHOOL

PENDER ISLAND, BC

PRESENT: Jeremy Harwood President

Wally Foster Vice-President

Kathy Gilbert Secretary

Dave Reed Member-at-Large

Ian Syme Marina Maintenance Manager

Bob Coulson Marina Operations Manager

Jean Deschenes Treasurer

Glenn Henderson Marina General Manager

Art Curtis Marina Projects Manager

Joanna Rogers Office Manager

REGRETS: Mike Wiley Director of Recreation / Tennis

1. CALL TO ORDER

Chair Jeremy Harwood called the meeting to order at 4:03 pm.

2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Moved by Bob Coulson

Seconded by Ian Syme

THAT the agenda be approved.

CARRIED

3. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

The following amendments to the September 9 2019 be made:

  • In the Treasure’s report:

  • Delete sentence beginning with “Jean” and ending with “allocated.”

  • Amend the sentence following to read ” It was noted that Chair Harwood and Dave Reed had done some research on costs to possible playground upgrades and that Chair Harwood is tasked with presenting this item at the AGM.”

  • In the Marina Director’s report, amend the motion to read:

“Moved by Glenn Henderson

Seconded by Bob Coulson

THAT all permanent contract holders be members of the Magic Lake Property Owners' Society.”

Moved by Bob Coulson

Seconded by Ian Syme

THAT the minutes of the September 9 2019 Magic Lake Property Owners' Society meeting, as amended, be approved.

CARRIED

4. DELEGATIONS

None.

5. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING

None

6. TREASURER`S REPORT

Treasurer Jean Deschenes reported that tennis court revenues were up from the previous year.

She reviewed the material to be presented at the AGM.

Moved by Glenn Henderson

Seconded by Wally Foster

THAT the Treasurer’s report be approved.

CARRIED

At the AGM, Chair Harwood will ask the question “What does the membership want to do with the playground?” Dave Reed will circulate to Board members the research he did on potential costs to possibly upgrade the playground.

7. DIRECTOR REPORTS

  1. Marina

Bob Coulson reported that casual moorage contracts are now being drafted as opened with respect to length of time that a boat is expected to be moored at the marina. After some discussion, it was agreed that casual moorage contracts be for a length of 3 months (renewable.)

Glenn Henderson noted that marina members are encouraged to volunteer in some capacity.

He thanked all those who helped improve the marina this year. Board members thanked Glenn for all the hard work he had coordinated and participated in toward marina improvements.

In future, the marina team will manage the permanent moorage contracts.

  1. Recreation / Tennis Report

None.

  1. Director-at-Large

The CRD’s absentee owner requirements regarding voting on referenda was discussed noting that the CRD requires that absentee owners be required to have lived in the referendum area for a minimum of 6 months. Dave Reed, one of the Magic Lake Property Owners' Society Board members who also sits on the Magic Lake Estates Water and Sewer Committee, will discuss this requirement at the upcoming Water and Sewer Committee meeting.

Moved by Bob Coulson

Seconded by Ian Syme

THAT the Directors’ reports be approved.

CARRIED

8. CORRESPONDENCE

Joanna Rogers reported that the annual letter to the CRD mailed earlier this year requesting a permissive tax exemption be granted for properties owned by the Magic Lake Property Owners' Society had not reached the CRD. The situation was rectified in time for consideration by the CRD Board.

Joanna advised that in future, all critical correspondence be mailed with tracking and by email.

9. NEW BUSINESS

Board members agreed that all Magic Lake Property Owners' Society Board meetings will be recorded in the future.

10. OTHER

2019 AGM

Board members discussed the possible moorage fee increase. It was noted that major expenditures might be forthcoming, such as replacement of the pilings and damage from a significant weather event. Glenn Henderson will include information on the possible moorage fee increase in his AGM report and will note that Thieves Bay Marina has very low moorage fees compared with other marinas. Jean Deschenes will provide Glenn with information on how much was expended in 2018-2019 on marina repairs and upgrades.

Magic Lake Property Owners’ Society.

A brief discussion on the funding source(s) for possible upgrades to the playground followed. Jean noted that the funds could come out of the General Term Deposit fund.

The AGM quorum was discussed. It was suggested that to ensure a quorum, Board members bring another Magic Lake Property Owners' Society member to the meeting. Joanna will send out an email reminder to all Magic Lake Property Owners' Society members advising of the upcoming AGM.

Chair Harwood will contact one or more Magic Lake Property Owners' Society members who might be available to conduct the election.

Bob Coulson and Joanna Rogers are working on the casual moorage contract. It was suggested that all marina team members be involved together with Joanna. The marina manager will send out a draft casual moorage contract to all marina members.

11. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 5:32 pm.

Next meeting

TBD following the AGM.

Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square